Find Yourself in New Zealand
A semester abroad doesn’t have to keep you from training for your sport. We can help you return to your home team stronger and faster than when you left.
All our Global Student-Athlete (GSA) tracks combine professional coaching and training with one or two semesters of study. We provide male and female athletes from any sport with the resources to improve their stamina and fitness. The conditioning sessions and assessments are scheduled outside your classroom hours so you can keep up with your studies.
Each GSA option is based in the student city of Palmerston North. You will train with the elite sportspeople of the Manawatu region and have opportunities to engage with both professional athletes and New Zealand representatives of your sport. For more information, visit http://massey.ac.nz/gsa
Male and female rugby players train with the coaches and athletes who have the potential to play for the Manawatu Turbos or Manawatu Cyclones. You will play in weekly competitions throughout your semester of study at Massey University. Your training will focus on technical and tactical development and involve up to four sessions per week, plus gym training, recovery sessions and video analysis tutorials. You will also:
- Train alongside the Manawatu Rugby Academy and wider training squad
- Play club rugby in the Manawatu region
- Participate in individual strength and conditioning development
- One-on-one support from the Manawatu Rugby Academy Manager and Turbos coach
- Learn rugby specific mental conditioning
- Be a member of the Manawatu Rugby Union Gym
- Attend one Hurricanes Super Rugby home match
- Receive training apparel
- Male and female student-athletes can combine international coaching and training with one or two semesters of overseas study
- The training and conditioning sessions are structured to be available outside your normal classroom hours
- All GSA options are based in the student city of Palmerston North
- You will train with the elite sportspeople of the Manawatu region and have opportunities to engage with both professional athletes and New Zealand representatives of your sport
- You can still get out and explore New Zealand during your weekends and study breaks
- Massey University offers 100 different subject areas across Business, Science, Health, Humanities and Social Sciences, and the Creative Arts. You can select from a range of courses that will credit back to your home institution.
|Presence of students||On-campus|