The Institute of Computer Science at the University of Tartu hosts more than 900 students across a range of Bachelors, Masters and doctoral programmes. We have an international environment with almost all the Master's programmes taught in English. Every fourth member of our staff is also from abroad.
The Institute's mission is to deliver world-class computer science education that is both relevant in practice and grounded on rigorous conceptual foundations. On the research front, the institute is active in the fields of bioinformatics and data mining, natural language processing, information security and cryptography, programming languages, distributed systems, and software engineering. Members of the institute are partners in more than a dozen national and EU research projects.
We are also partners in the Estonian Centre of Excellence in Computer Science and the Software Technology and Applications Competence Centre — an R&D centre that conducts industry-driven research projects in the fields of software engineering and data mining.
The International Master’s Programme in Computer Science prepares students for becoming leading specialists in public and private organisations and for further studies at the PhD level in Computer Science.
After passing the curriculum, the student:
- Has acquired core knowledge in the field of computer science and can use it to analyse and resolve practical problems;
- Has deeper knowledge of one narrower subfield of computer science and of its surrounding disciplines;
- Can do independent research on a problem posed by the supervisor and present his/her results in a coherent and understandable way.
The International Master’s Program in Software Engineering imparts general software engineering and management skills, as well as specialized skills in two major software application domains: enterprise systems and embedded real-time systems. The program is delivered jointly by Estonia’s two largest universities: University of Tartu and Tallinn University of Technology.
The aim of the programme is to educate specialists who are able to implement ICT solutions to improve business systems and business processes in organizations. We welcome students who would not only like to be programmers or system managers but are also interested in management, innovation and entrepreneurship.
Upon completion the curriculum successfully, a student:
- has a systemic overview of innovation theories and innovation policy
- has deep knowledge in some field of research and/or application of innovation or technology management
- is independently able to identify and formulate research questions in the field of innovation and technology management as well as find suitable methods to answer those
- is able to collect, analyse and interpret data of company from strategic and operational level using suitable methods and evaluation criteria to measure productivity of the company
- is able to use different methods to analyse company business processes to propose improvements and to measure implementation efficency
- is able to do business with digital products and manage those
- is familiar with developments in technology and has a positive attitude towards life-long learning
- is collaborative and can communicate with diferent stakeholders, is able to lead meetings and workshops
After graduation, students have an opportunity to work as innovation managers, technology managers, business analysts or process managers. Students also have the ability to start their own company, especially as a consultation business in implementing ICT solutions, or work in public sector in the filed of innovation policy or digitalisation. Student can also continue their studies at PhD level.