More content coming soon ...
Throughout its existence, ISEG has always sought to maintain its position at the forefront of Portuguese universities in the fields of economics and management, creating new courses while constantly updating course programmes and teaching methods.
Through its research departments, it plays a dynamic role in contributing to scientific knowledge within its areas of speciality, and in applying that knowledge in a wider social context.
ISEG further impacts the community around it through consultancy and other services provided to economic agencies and organisations, as well as the scientific and cultural exchanges at a national and international level play an important role in ISEG's activities.
Key Historical Facts
- 1759 - School of Economics and Management (Instituto Superior de Economia e Gestão) is founded in Lisbon as the Class of Commerce.
- 1844 - Class of Commerce annexes with the Lisbon High School to form the School of Commerce (Escola de Comércio).
- 1869 - Joins the Industrial Institute of Lisbon, which becomes known as the Industrial and Commercial Institute of Lisbon (ICIL).
- 1884 - First higher education course in Commerce is created in ICIL.
- 1911 - Two new higher education Institutes are founded from within ICIL: The School of Engineering and the School of Commerce (Instituto Superior de Comércio).
- 1930 -The School of Commerce joins with three other technical schools, the present-day Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, the Agricultural School and the School of Engineering to create the Technical University of Lisbon. They are later joined by what are now the School of Social and Political Sciences, the Faculty of Human Kinetics and the Faculty of Architecture.
At that stage, the School of Commerce becomes the School of Economic and Financial Sciences (Instituto Superior de Ciências Económicas e Financeiras
- 1972 - Becomes known as the School of Economics (Instituto Superior de Economia) .
- 1990 - Takes on present name to become the School of Economics and Management (ISEG - Instituto Superior de Economia e Gestão) .
- 2013 - Birth of the ULisboa - Universidade de Lisboa, the result of the fusion between the Technical University of Lisbon and the University of Lisbon.
ISEG is able to offer 7 undergraduate degree programmes (one run in conjunction with the Faculty of Human Kinetics), over 20 masters programmes, various doctoral programmes and the ISEG MBA.
All degrees are fully recognised and accredited, and comply with European higher education requirements.
We also offer accredited research centres, recognised by the Portuguese government agency and the Foundation for Science and Technology (FCT), which have received very high research ratings.
Carlos J. Costa is Associate Professor of Information Systems and Operation Management at ISEG (Lisbon School of Economics and Management), University of Lisbon, since September 2017. Carlos is a member of IEEE and ACM. He is also memeber of the board of EuroSIGDOC / ACM. He was conference and program chair of conferences sponsored by ACM and EuroSIGDOC / ACM. Carlos holds a PhD in Information Sciences and Technologies in the field of Information Systems and Databases from ISCTE. He holds a Master's degree in Management Sciences from the same university and a degree from A.G.E. by the Portuguese Catholic University. His research interests include Information Systems Theory, especially in the area of adoption of Information Systems, ERP and Open Source.