More content coming soon ...
The Institute for Information Systems at the University of Cologne is designed to prepare students for technical and managerial careers. We research and teach the social and technical design, development, implementation, and management of state-of-the-art computer-based and web-based business information systems.
Our mission is to educate capable professionals who can effectively develop, manage, and enhance business information systems for better operations and decision making within an increasingly digitalized business environment.
In Cologne, Information Systems focuses on three main areas:
- Business Intelligence and Data Science
- Digital Innovation and Entrepreneurship
- Digital Sustainable Society“
Four research groups investigate information technologies in various different contexts and industries related to these areas:
- Digital Transformation and Analytics
- Information Systems and Information Management
- Information Systems and Integrated Information Systems
- Information Systems and Systems Development
- Information Systems for Sustainable Society
Our main objectives are:
- the advancement of theories, methods and tools obtaining intersubjectively verifiable knowledge about Information Systems
- the design of Information Systems as well as the necessary (further) development of concepts, procedures, models, methods, tools and (modeling) languages
- the achievement of a real-world understanding of use, acceptance, management and controllability of Information Systems as well as their respective system elements
- the primarily economically science-based assessment of risk, benefit and economies of scale in the design and implementation of Information Systems and the changes in value added processes as well as the associated strategic and organizational impacts on individuals, groups, businesses, industries and economic areas
- the prognosis of technical and non-technological developments and the impact of the use of Information Systems
The study of Information Systems is not without reason of great, ever-growing popularity: the focus is on the development and application of information and communication systems in business enterprises. The courses combine theoretical knowledge of many disciplines with the application-oriented orientation towards system solutions for operational challenges. In many working and living world contexts, with its innovative power, business informatics makes an important contribution to the product and (business) process design under economic conditions.
Information Systems is not only exciting but also strongly in demand on the labor market. Our graduates are successfully employed in various sectors (business consulting, management of system development and information management) and internal areas. They act at the interface between business processes and the technically embedded system environment.
These unique professional perspectives are also confirmed by consistently high positioning in rankings such as the “Wirtschaftswoche”, which surveys HR departments of German companies to find out which universities they consider the best.
Studying in an open minded city in the heart of Europe offers many possibilities.